Spring will be here soon! It will be time for vaccinations and preparing for the next riding season. Here at Allegheny Equine we are aware that the cost of preventative care for your horse increases each year. Knowing that finances play a role in our clients’ decisions, we are we created this program we hope will save you money and still allow your horses to benefit from very important annual preventative health care procedures.
Starting in mid-March, Allegheny Equine will be scheduling a veterinarian in a limited geographic area to perform preventative health care services including: annual exams, vaccines, fecal egg counts, deworming, sheath/udder cleanings, Coggins testing, dental exams and dental floats. If you sign up for the designated day we are in your area, your farm call will only be $28 dollars per client (regular farm call price is $65 for most of our region). THIS IS NOT FOR BOARDING BARNS as multiple clients at a barn get a split farm call already. By keeping our vet in a smaller region, this will decrease our fuel costs and drive time and these savings can be passed on to you.
The staff at Allegheny Equine invests significant time and effort redesigning our preventative health care program each year. Changes in vaccines and vaccine technology require updating protocols to keep pace with changing conditions. Adapting deworming programs to reflect the ever-evolving potential parasitic risk and providing the best dental preventatives are also at the forefront of an active health care program. Assessments of your newborns, yearlings and older horse populations for problems inherent in those age groups are recommended to prevent future issues. Farm visits allow our veterinarians to observe your animals in their home environment and to administer vaccinations and complete other procedures at your farm. Observation of your horses’ habitat and feed sources can help the veterinarian make recommendations that aid in keeping your horses fit and healthy.
These Preventative Care Days provide the client with a significant savings, but it also requires forethought, organization and communication on both the client and our part. For further details please continue reading for program instructions.
Hopefully you will find the program to be useful and help us fine-tune the program to better serve your needs. We hope you and your horses have a great spring season.
To take part in Preventative Care Days, please read the following details:
- All scheduling must be done at least 4 days in advance.
- We ask that you are flexible with your appointment time. When you call in you can select the day that best works for you. Then 2 days before your appointment you will receive a call or email with a 2 hour window of time as to when the doctor will arrive. On the day of your appointment, you will receive a call when the doctor is in route to your farm.
- Payment is required at the time of service in the form of cash, check or credit card to be run that day.
- Services provided on these days will be annual exams, vaccines, fecal egg counts, deworming, sheath/udder cleanings, Coggins testing, dental exams and dental floats. Any additional services needed (eye exams, lameness exams, illness etc) will require a regular scheduled appointment on another day.
- We have created regions in the areas that have had the most interest. Not all towns are included. Each region will have 1-2 days and more days are created for regions with more interest.
- We will need 3 clients scheduled per region to run a Wellness Day so talk to your neighbors! We will also add dates for regions if the original days fill to capacity. Slots fill on a first come first serve basis.
Below you will find a schedule of where we will be on specific dates. If you have questions about Preventative Care Days or would like to get on the list for a particular day, please call us at 724-325-4615
|March 30th and April 28th||1-, Kittanning, Ford City, Sarver, Freeport, Cabot, Natrona Heights|
|April 6th and May 5th||2-Indiana, Shelocta, Elderton, Homer City|
|April 13th and May 19th||3-Butler, Renfrew, Mars, Saxonburg|
|April 27th and May 26th||4-Sewickley, Cranberry Twp, Wexford, Badon, Valencia, Gibsonia|
|March 31st and May 4th||5 – New Kensington, Tarentum, Lower Burrell, Leechburg, Plum, Apollo, Export, Saltsburg, Avonmore.|
|April 7th and May 18th||6- New Alexandria, Blairsville, Greensburg, Latrobe, Derry, Delmont|
|April 14th and May 25th||7-New Stanton, West Newton, Irwin, Elizabeth|